What is the PSC?

The Public Service Commission (PSC) is a quasi-judicial regulatory agency established under Title 3, VIC Sec. 273. 

The PSC comprises five voting members (appointed by the Governor and confirmed by the Senate) and two non-voting members (appointed by the Senate President).  

The Commission’s primary authority is in Title 30 Virgin Islands Code Chapter 1, but also includes other authorities such as Title 30, Chapters 2 and 8. 

The Commission sets rates that allow regulated utilities to earn a reasonable return on their investment to provide adequate and reliable service at a reasonable cost to the customer. 

The PSC also seeks to help consumers better understand its functions and participate in the rate-making process. 

The PSC’s mandate is to maintain an essential balance between the public utilities in the U.S. Virgin Islands and the territory’s ratepayers. 

The Commission is also charged with resolving disputes between the consumers and the regulated utilities, as well as cellular phone carriers.

Who are the members of the Commission?

The Commission headed by a chairperson (selected annually by the membership) and four Commissioners, all of whom are appointed to 3-year terms by the Governor of the Virgin Islands, with the advice and consent of the US Virgin Islands Legislature.

The Commissioners hold their office until their replacement is nominated and confirmed.

The Commission is structured with two members from the island of St. Thomas, two from the island of St. Croix and one from St. John.

They are accompanied by two ex officio members appointed by the Senate President.

What utilities does the PSC regulate?

The Public Services Commission regulates:

  • The Virgin Islands Water and Power Authority

  • The Virgin Islands Waste Management Authority

  • The Virgin Islands Telephone Company (VITELCO, now doing business as “VIYA”)

  • The franchised passenger ferry service between St. Thomas and St. John

What are the official hours of operations of the Public Service Commission?

Monday to Friday from 8.00 a.m. to 5.00 p.m. except for public holidays.

How can I contact the Commission?


P.O Box 40, St. Thomas, VI, 00804



Telephone Numbers:

  • 340-776-1291 (St. Thomas)

  • 340-778-6010 (St. Croix)

  • 340–776–1391 (St. John)

What is a public utility?

A public utility is any individual, firm, partnership, association, corporation, or other person, which provides a public service, affects the public interest, and operates as a monopoly or franchise.

How do I file a complaint?

If you have a complaint about your utility service, first seek the assistance of your utility company. Your utility company is required by law to try to help. The Virgin Islands Public Services Commission’s personnel are ready to assist you and investigate your complaint when warranted.

The Commission’s complaint process, which may involve three (3) levels of investigation: the initial complaint, the hearing and review, and a request for reconsideration to the Commission.

Take the following steps if you have an unresolved complaint against a public utility company:

  1. File your complaint with the Commission’s St. Thomas, St. Croix or St. John office via telephone, walk-in, email or our website.

    The Commission’s Complaints Staff will conduct an investigation of your complaint and notify you of the decision on your complaint, the reasons for the decision and, the action you may take. While your complaint is being handled you must continue to pay the amounts on all non-disputed bills or your service may be disconnected and/or terminated by the utility company.

  2. If you believe the initial decision is incorrect, you can request in writing a formal hearing before the Commission and a hearing examiner may be appointed to review your complaint.

    After the request is reviewed you will be notified stating when and where the hearing will be held. You may also be asked to submit certain documents to the Commission. Additionally, you have the right to be represented by the person of your choice. If you and the utility company are unable to settle your complaint, the hearing examiner appointed by the Commission will issue a report of findings and recommend a decision to the Commission. The Commission will make a decision on your complaint and notify you.

  3. If you believe that the Commission’s decision was wrong, you can file a request for reconsideration, within 30 days to the Commission.

    Your written request for reconsideration must state specifically that there was an error by the hearing examiner and/or the Commission that affected the decision, or that evidence not previously available would affect the decision. The Commission will make a decision to the hearing examiner for further consideration or may order further proceedings. You will be notified or the Commission’s decision.