1. Before you submit the complaint form, please make sure you reach out to the utility that you have the dispute with to allow them the opportunity to rectify the problem.

  2. Submit a copy of all letters, receipts, or any other documentation that may support your claim. Please note that as a part of the complaint handling process, the Public Services Commission (PSC) may forward a copy of this complaint to the utility complained against.

> Download the PSC Complaint Form